Sunday 13 May 2012

Is attachment parenting degrading to women?!

There has been a lot of controversy this week regarding attachment parenting mainly spurred by this picture:

Time magazine decided to do an article regarding attachment parenting. They could have chosen a baby wearing father, a couple bed-sharing with a baby or even a mother and baby having skin to skin after the birth...but no they choose an attractive woman breastfeeding her son, standing up to the breast.

The caption 'ARE YOU MOM ENOUGH?' implies, on the surface, that not feeding your child until they can stand is just not good enough. So no wonder there was such emotive discussions going on around the web regarding this. Time Magazine are just selling magazines, I am sure many will buy this just because of the cover, they are intrigued as its something that appears out of the ordinary, when in fact the boy on the cover is not even 4 years old...the average age for weaning weaning from the breast world wide is around 4 years so really it's quite strange that this is a rare sight...

But getting back on topic these are some comments I have seen around the web this weekend:

 "Is that woman really breastfeeding? Her breasts don't look like they're producing any milk to me, they're far too small - even flat chested women have serious cleavage when they're breastfeeding (I speak from experience).
WHO guidelines are surely aimed at women in countries where there is limited access to clean water for making up formula and where there is a strong likelihood of malnutrition.
In my view if the child is old enough to ask, they're old enough to drink out of cup."

"I have not had a child, but isn't three a bit old to still be breastfeeding? That is what bothers me about this picture, not the act in itself."

"I think that so called 'attachment parenting' was created by mothers who have children in order to automatically fill a void in their lives by encouraging unnatural dependency. It's an excuse to not do anything else with your life, a glorified extension of the burnt toast and coffee dedication to motherhood that has never been more than a way out for women who have no other ambitions.These people have turned mothering into a dogma. Most healthy women can be a great UN-attatched mother and still be dedicated and raise happy Independent children."

 "The reason why this photo shocks us it is because the boy is a boy, and of higher than average height, and, most of all because he does not touch his mother while at her breast and looks at us. The boy is a big three year old, the mother looks like a fashion model rather than a mother. Everything is "not your average" so to speak. Now try to put an average height three year old, who does not look at us and actually touches his mother, (lets say he is in her arms rather than on a chair) and put an average mother as the model .The picture would be more representative and less shocking. I am tired of shocking magazine covers, ..I am sure they sell more than others but the price we pay as a society is that reality is misrepresented by the very people who should inform us."
 Then this one which really prompted me to write this:


"My generation fought for what women have nowadays; careers, contraceptives, busy lives, relationships without marriage, equality and freedom. NOW there are a load of lazy hippy mothers WANTING to undo all that fight and stay at home to breastfeed their babies until school age, carry them around, sleep with them until the child wants to leave the bed and even home school them when there is a perfectly good education system. And that's not all. They are trying to guilt-trip all mothers into doing the same by implying that a mother who wants children AND a life is less of a mother and damaging to her child. Why? Attachment parenting is DEGRADING to women."

So is attachment parenting degrading to women? As they cite Dr William Sears in the article lets have a look at his '7 b's of attachment parenting' and use these to clarify attachment parenting and hopefully rid some myths...

1. Birth Bonding

So baby is born and its encouraged to have skin to skin as soon after the baby is born to promote breastfeeding and attachment. There are benefits to mother and baby and Dad can also have skin to skin. In the UK skin to skin is promoted as part of the Baby Friendly Initiative to aid breastfeeding so is certainly not limited to attachment parent types.

Is birth bonding degrading to women? In my opinion - no.

2. Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding is very protective. Formula feeding increases the mothers chance of cancer, diabetes and osteoporosis and the childs chance of leukemia, type diabetes, allergies and hospitalisation in childhood. Granted breastfeeding means you have to be with your baby as much as possible so does mean the mother will find it more difficult (but not impossible) to jet off for the weekend or work full time but surely it is up to the individual to decide what is best for them? And since when did knowing the facts = judgement?


Is breastfeeding degrading to women? No - if you ask me all the undermining the formula industry do is far more degrading to women than breastfeeding.


3. Babywearing


Wearing baby in a sling has many benefits, I would say it gives me MORE freedom. I can get about easily (no need to worry about steps etc for buggies), its easier than putting a buggy up and down in the rain (I put sling on before we leave the house), I can breastfeed on the go and my baby is happier, she can see the world and be close to me. Possibly though a very important point is that fathers/partners/grandparents etc can all do this, not just mum has to wear the baby.


Is baby wearing degrading to women? Hell no! If anything it gives women more freedom.

4. Bedding close to baby

Co-sleeping doesn't have to mean bed-sharing. Baby can be in a cot in your room, a sidecar option or in bed with you some of the night. Co-sleeping provides protection against SIDS, aids breastfeeding and makes life easier for mum (or dad) during night feeds. 

Is sleeping in the same room as your baby degrading to women? I cannot see how. I think most mothers would welcome the fact it was protective against SIDS if nothing else.

5. Belief in the value of your babies cry

Dr Sears states 'responding to your babies cries builds trust'. To me this is logical. We are mammals and not designed to expel unnecessary energy. In my opinion babies cry for a reason and yes sometimes that may just be for a cuddle. It doesn't have to be mum that responds as long as they are responded to.

Is responding to your babies cries degrading to women? No but surely not responding is degrading to your baby...

6. Beware of baby trainers

Baby trainers often advise strict routines, scheduled feedings, sleep training methods which involve ignoring baby's cries, putting baby down as often as possible and even avoiding eye contact - all of which puts distance between mother and child and undermines the mothers ability to learn her own baby's cues this again is not limited to mothers. 

Is being aware of baby trainers degrading to women? Quite the opposite, baby trainers feel babies should all fit the same mold and mothers who feel their baby doesn't do as the book says at 3pm could end up feeling that they are doing something wrong - baby trainers are degrading to women.

7. Balance

That's right, its not all about the baby all the time. Mum gets a look in too. It is important to meet your own needs also and remember that attachment parenting is a guide for promoting healthy attachment which grounds children for life. 

Is balance degrading to women? Again the opposite. It IS possible to be an attached parent and return to work or bottle feed or use a pram or have babe sleep in another room.

The thing many do not realise about attachment parenting is that it is flexible. Dads can promote healthy attachment too and women do not need to stay at home with their children until they leave home. It is just about showing your child love, respect, boundaries and that their needs are met in the hope they grow to feel loved, secure and cherished - with that in kind is this not what all parents want?     

23 comments:

  1. Hm, sounds like the Elisabeth Badinter school of "feminism" (which is in speech-marks, because I personally don't believe it is feminism, I think it is degrading to women). Telling women what they should and shouldn't be & denouncing them as lazy when they follow their natural calling is insanely unfeminist in my book. I genuinely think we need to have public & heated debates about feminism, because the issue is blurred & no one knows what they are allowed to be any longer. The feminist revolution over? It's only just started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Totally Agree!
      I am confronted everyday with this outdated view that the only people who matter are those economically active. This excludes children, Stay at Home Mothers, Old, Disabled and Unemployed. One strand of Feminism that has been very popular with our capitalist governments is that of: 'work outside the home to pay your way'. The problem is when women then go on to have children, nature is not able to take it's course as they cannot afford to stay at home. We are living in a very expensive culture which has devalued unpaid work (Looking after children and housework) to a point where it is seen as 'drudgery' and women are meant to be ashamed of it, and moreover don't have the support from family or the finances to choose anyway. I feel we have a duty to our young women to inform them of this imbalance, it is not something I grew up really aware of - I believed I was the same as a man.

      Delete
  2. :-) thanks for that. Great post and a great summary of AP for those who are new to it

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why i prefer the expression 'organic parenting'. People don't understand the meaning of 'attachment' or even 'natural' and get defensive about their style because those words imply that other styles aren't natural or attached - which in many cases it's just a mum doing the best she knows how to do. Organic has less negativity attached to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And of course the most important part is that feminism, at its core, is about CHOICE. Women fought for the CHOICE to do what they wanted with their lives. And if that means they want to stay home, barefoot and pregnant, that is up to them! It is not a 'less feminist' choice. I personally have no desire to go work in the corporate world, and would find doing so a type of bondage. Feminists like the one you quoted would do well to remember that it is about the ability to have options, NOT that you lead a particular lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to make this same point. Thanks for saying it. Choice and supporting other women's choices are the most important aspects of feminism, in my opinion.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely! Thank you for injecting some balance into the debate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victoria Totten14 May 2012 at 02:57

    No, attachment parenting is not degrading to women. It is those types of arguments that are degrading to women. And the whole way that this debate (and the many others that have preceded it) has unfolded that is degrading to women. There is a certain brand of feminism that most certainly devalued women's traditional work, aka everything in the domestic sphere, in the quest to gain access to men's traditional work, aka the public sphere. In this quest, many women/feminists have felt the need to shed any attachment to the domestic world (which is where those "hippie" AP moms seem to fit), which has only served to continue to devalue those traditional areas of work that are so vital to every society. Where we all need to be focusing our energy is not on debating and arguing one another about who is a better parent/mom/career woman, but on making sure that those who want to/need to fulfill any of these roles, can do so, be it raising one's children or climbing the corporate ladder, or anything and everything in between. We need to stop beating each other up, as we all lose when this happens.

    p.s. I was thinking of my comment as I nursed my 13-month-old back to sleep in our family bed, with my women's studies degree hanging on the wall, the night before I head back to work at my career job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, I have 2 masters' degrees, had a good career and never thought I would stay home. When my baby was born,and I had a chance to stay w him instead of being away for 11 hrs... I took it. And I don't regret it. Also, before I had my baby, I never heard about dr. Sears and I did pretty much everything you just said... Out of pure instinct! I only heard about attachment parenting this week when this whole affair unraveled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that it is up to every woman how they want to handle motherhood. Some just can't have (or don't want) the privilege to stay at home...for me this is what it really is: a Privilege to experience in full one of the most beautiful roles of my life. But what is undeniable is that your life changes once you become a mother and father. If you want to have kids, you should be aware of this. You just can't go on like if nothing changed,your baby is going to need YOU, and this means that you should sacrifice some of your previous lifestyle...I personally don't understand why parents find this so terribly hard. Some changes will be temporarily and your son or daugther deserve them (What everyone tells you is so true: they grow FAST). I also believe that most of the problems in our society nowadays are because parents are just to busy with their lives and are not paying attention to their children. As a stay at home mom (and this does not mean that I will stay forever at home) I firmly believe that I am doing the most important job in the world and I would not changed it for any sum. Regarding parenting styles, I believe that you should do what works for you best as long as you are putting your children's needs first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so grateful to read this post in response to this article, but I really loved reading the above comment from the lady with the 2 masters'degrees who followed her instinct and is with her baby!!! Instinct in mothers has been severely disrupted, i would say - without research, but simply a rough reflection in history - for the past century, in a variety of ways... But now, with input from so many sources, and a great amount of pressure to look or be perfect at everything, mothers have a hard time tuning into their natural responses to their babies, and such difficulty filtering the info they receive and read. Instinct is an amazing God-given ability, and whatever lable you give it, when you are parenting your child in a loving, secure environment, and know in your heart you're doing the best for your child, then you can't go wrong... Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a great article, thank you! I'll tell you I've been thinking a lot about this. I totally agree with attachment parenting methods and hearing arguments about it makes me angry to be honest. What I hear are excuses, selfish woman who have kids almost as if they are accessories, not people. I feel if work is so important to you that you can't take any time off to be a Mom than don't have kids! (I'm of course not referring to those who have to work)... Just my opinion.
    I base this opinion off of my own upbringing which has really come into the forefront since my son was born. My Mother was back at work full time within months of having me. I was basically raised by babysitters and day cares. At age 2 she had me in a type of pre school. I was dropped off by my mother but was picked up every afternoon by a babysitter/nanny. I would see my parents between 6pm and 8am only during the week. On weekends I would often be taken to a babysitters so that my parents could have a "date". My parents lived in a large custom home where the kitchen/living room/family room is in between the bedrooms so I slept in the completely opposite end of the house. They could not hear me scream for them but what I remember thinking was that they were ignoring me.
    What did this do to me? Well one could argue a buttload! I dropped out in the 11th grade and was sent to a behavior modification program in Europe where I remained for 2 years. I was with an abusive guy for 7 years that was only ended by him going to prison. These are just some examples of many. There are plenty of mistakes I made along the way because of my low self-esteem.
    I've finally got my life together after 30 years and I'll be damned of I ever allow my son to feel ignored, unloved, or as if he is I burden for even one second. I truly believe the feelings I had as an infant and toddler shaped the self-limiting beliefs I have had for life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing such a difficult experience. So important to make sure children know you're there for them and I will remind myself of your story on days which are intense xx

      Delete
  11. You can be an attachment parent even if you don't breastfeed. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally and I do make that point in the second to last paragraph x

      Delete
  12. Thank you for standing up for the committed, busy, wonderful mothers who are too busy nurturing and supporting their families to read the ugly criticisms generated by this photograph. Women who do everything they can to ensure that their family members are contented and feel loved as well as supported, lead their lives well, make good choices, and understand how to achieve their goals are the bedrock of culture and necessary for quality of life for all of us. Lets applaud, celebrate and support these mothers in every way possible. There are far too many people expressing critical opinions of others rather than doing all that they can to add value in the world. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my opinion, attachment parenting is both lazy and egrading to women. Sure, studies have been done that show that serious neglect and unattachment to the child by the mother cause real psychological harm. There are no such studies that say normal parenting and teaching your child independence and autonomy are unhealthy for the kid--quite the opposite. Attachment parenting is going to causse a generation of unhealthy children overenmeshed with their mothers. It discourages the developement of autonomy and self-relience that is crucial to raising competent adults. It decrees that you must attend to every whim and whimper of your child--which just creates intitled, bratty kids. "controlled crying" is not child abuse.
    Even the advocates of this method say that a child should not be left to cry for a dangerously long amount of time--it isn't just let your child cry forever and don't worry about it. my child had severe preoblems staying in bed--would get up 20 or more times a night. We would collect the child, give him no interaction, as that would just reward his behavior, and put him back in bed. When he did it again, the same thing. Sometimes 20 or more times a night. it took willpower to do this as we all want to give in to our kids every whim, but they also need to learn self-control and how to soothe themselves without always relying on moomy to soothe them--that is part of the development process. Within a couple of months, the child was sleeping through the night happily. he is now 15, a straight A student, loving, toughtful, and a successful and INDEPENDENT-not -co-dependent child. he does not need to run to mommy to make everything alright. he has learned that HE can soothe himself. If he needs help, i'm there for him, but I think encouraging independence and autonomy are core features in raising healthy, competent kids. I did not breastfeed, as much as the "lactation' counselors tried to guilt trip me on it. itried at first. he was in the ICU for ten days and i pumped like crazy so he could breastfeed, but my milk still started drying up. Also, the child weighed 12 pounds. I did not have enough milk to satisfy him. he was screaming t obe fed every hour and never seemed to be getting enough nourishment. I couldn't take it. I switched to a bottle, he got his fill, and feedings went down to every four hours or so--before that I was so stressed out with the constant crying for milk I apparently didn't have enough of, and constant suckling that i was starting to resent the baby. Breastfeeding isn't for everyone, and especially with a large baby, it is hard to produce enough milk to keep him satisfied. he ha a high IQ--formula didn't damage his brain, and it kept me sane; I was at the edge. This kind of parenting is going to lead to children who feel entitled to have their every whim satisfied immediately, children with a lack of self-control, and children who are overly dependent. Even the guru of attachment parenting was not raised that way himself and says he would change nothing about his childhood. His mother worked--she didn't carry him in a sling everywhere he went and she didn't co-sleep with him or run to him at every little whimper, and he seems to have turned out just fine. Childrearing norms in thrid-world countries are not necessarily rlevent in our culture, which is completely different in nearly all respects. I can't wait to see the next generation of overly dependent, intitled little brats that this style of parentment is going to produce.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love APing. I found it makes for a happy, independent baby. I do believe that letting your baby cry alone is damaging to them, and that no child can be spoiled by being "picked up too much."
    Thank you for your wonderful post! Keep on rockin' mama!
    - Jenny@smalltownhippies

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those comments are so ignorant and offensive. No wonder society is messed up when mothers who choose to dedicate time to their children are labelled "lazy hippy mothers". What exactly is lazy about being a full time mother?

    ReplyDelete

This blog is opinion only, I love to hear from you but this is not a debate forum - if you have nothing nice to say then please move on :) x